How and Why to Rebuild Your PS4 Database
Rebuilding your PS4 database is a lot like running a defragment on your PC’s hard drive.
In 2017, video game consoles are nothing more than custom computers, complete with operating systems, hard drives, and video cards. As with any computer, it’s important to make sure that the files you have saved on your hard drive are organized. On a PC, this is done through a disk defragment process. On your PS4, this is done when you rebuild your PS4 database.
When to Rebuild the PS4 Database
Some people are going to tell you that rebuilding your PS4 database should be done monthly, and that probably wouldn’t hurt. However, hardly anyone is going to take the time to do that, so our advice is to consider a PS4 database rebuild if you’ve been noticing performance issues, or if it pops into your head and it’s been several months since the last time you completed the task.
Read: PS5 Release Date Predicted
The following are reasons you might consider a rebuild of your PS4 database.
- Slow in-game loading times
- PS4 disc drive issues (not reading a disc)
- Sluggish menu navigations
- Stuttering during gameplay and cutscenes
How to Rebuild Your PS4 Database
Rebuilding your PS4 database involves starting your PS4 in safe mode, which are words that can rightfully freak people out. If you aren’t comfortable with that, you should contact Sony's technical support for assistance. They are your best option if you have doubts about any steps in the process.
Read: 7 Scariest PS4 Games Ever Made
- Turn off your PS4 using the power button on the front of the device
- Hold the power button down and wait for two beeps. This typically takes about seven seconds
- Connect your PS4’s DualShock 4 controller to the console using a compatible USB cable
- From the Safe Mode menu, choose option five, Rebuild Database
This process can take several hours, during which time you must not turn off your console. You will often see a black screen, and this is normal. Allow this process to finish, after which time you will have completed a full rebuild of your PS4 database.